Waaah, one month to go and we will be in Europe. I’m excited.
First time to get Schengen Visa
This was our first time to apply for a Schengen visa. We renewed our passport last year 2014, and we’re so blessed that our passport was not even one year old, and here we are, we’ll be getting a visa to travel to Europe.
At first, I thought maybe it would not be easy (for us). What if they will require us documents that we don’t have or the worst to think is what if we will get rejected, but those are common worries of the first timer.
We learned that before you started worrying, we must read. We must read carefully to understand all the criteria’s in getting a Schengen Visa and follow.
Yes, let’s go to Barcelona but where to apply?
- In the Embassy of the country where you are staying most of the nights of your trip.
- If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your main destination.
- If you are spending the same number of nights in two countries, of these two, you have to apply in the Embassy of the country that is your point of entry Europe.
Our first point of entry is in Barcelona, Spain and we will be spending most of our days too. Therefore we applied to the Spain Embassy.
When to apply?
Visa applications cannot be submitted more than three (3) months before the intended travel date. Visa applicants are required to schedule an appointment. Visa applications are submitted in person, and by appointment only.
We applied July 11 2015 (online) to schedule our appointment at the Embajada de Espana in August 11, 2015.
How to get started?
- Download the application form and fill it in honestly.
- You can schedule for the appointment first while completing all the requirements. The booking is online so you can set you’re preferred date and time.
Tip: It important to book an appointment online early, when we booked all the dates for July are occupied already so we have to move to second week of August.
- Complete all the requirements.
What are the requirements?
Note: Every Schengen member country has its own requirements regarding the documents needed to obtain the certain type of visa. Make sure you can gather them all.
We submitted requirements listed below.
- Completed form – 1 short stay Schengen visa form fully filled and signed with Visa photo.
- Visa photo – the photo must be recent, we only used it on the Schengen visa form.
- Original + 1 photocopy of Philippine passport, must have at least 6 months validity.
- Original + 1 photocopy of Employment pass / SPass
- Original + 1 photocopy of flight reservation/booking with confirmed dates of round trip
- Original + 1 photocopy of proof accommodation
- Original + 1 photocopy of Financial guarantee
We have the last 5 months bank statement certified true copy at the bank (current account showing transactions, your name and account number)
Tip: The applicants bank statement (preferably for the last 6 months)
- Original + 1 photocopy of Travel insurance
Schengen Visa Insurance is a must
Your name and dates of coverage should be stated on the policy.
- Employment letter from your employer/company in Singapore indicating: position, seniority, monthly salary and leave period.
How much is the visa fee?
The cost is 60 Euro but depends on the exchange rate. We paid $97.30 SGD.
How long does it take to get a Schengen visa?
It takes us 4 working days to wait before we get our passport with approved visa.
After you have collected your visa please make sure that all your personal information are correct. No claim shall be entertained afterwards.
We had speedy and smooth application at the Spain Embassy. The first thing we did was research and budget planning. Asking our friends that had experience in applying for visa was really helpful as well. All the requirements are clearly stated on their website. All the applicants need to apply in person.
More information about all the visa types can be found on the official embassy website and their recent forms.
The Embassy Of The Kingdom Of Spain in Singapore is located at 7 Temasek Blvd, Suntec Tower One. Visa applications are only accepted Mondays to Thursdays from 9.30AM to 12.30PM and collection is from Monday to Friday 12:00PM to 1:00PM only.
Yay, hello Europe.