We moved in Boon Keng last 2012, we are on 20th floor. We shared unit in a 2 bedrooms flat HDB. In front of our HDB is a bus stop. From here, we have easy access going in the city. There is bus 64 and 65 which directly goes to Orchard. Bus 133 to Bugis Junction, Cityhall (Green Line) and bus 31 or 13 which goes to East Coast (these are the common places we visited at most).
Amenities and facilities are within the area. Below are 10 things I like living in Boon Keng.
- Though there is no shopping mall in Boon Keng (Bendemeer), there’s marketplace here offers affordable prices. One of our favorite is Valu$. You will also find 7-eleven, Watsons and other small convenience stores around. Sheng Siong supermarket is also nearby.
- If you like eating in a fast-food chains, Mcdonalds and KFC are available here. We prefer eating in Mcdonalds than KFC because in KFC the space is small and can get very crowded easily plus expect long queue so sometimes we tapao only.
- If you are a bread lover, there’s lot of bakeries around the area. Our favorite is Baker Talent and Swee Heng. They have promotions always specially when holiday like Hari Raya, Chinese New Year, Christmas, etc. you can buy bread for special prices.
- If you’re not feeling well the clinics are just few walks away in Boon Keng. Healthway Medical Clinic, Parkway Shenton, Tan-Teoh Clinic, 18 Clinic and lot more.
- When searching for food to eat Boon Keng is very convenient. There is Block 29 Wet Market and Food Centre (Hawker). There’s lot of food stalls (hawker) here to choose from Malay food, Chinese, Western and if you are NTUC member there’s Rice Garden food stall too where you can get affordable meal starting from as low as $2.
- One of our favorite Chicken Rice is located in Boon Tong Kee. I love it from the first time I tasted their food but sometimes when we are in a tight buget we buy in hawker instead. We can get a plate of chicken rice for S$2.50.
- We love the wet market here! We can buy fresh vegetables, fruits, fish, meats, etc. One of our favorite buy are the eggs! The egg is cheaper and much bigger here compare to the supermarket. But, we are surprised when we found out that the wet market is only available half day (morning up to noon) and some stalls are close.
- If you love Soya milk, Selegie Soya and SweetTalk is available, for cakes there’s Bengawan Solo and other bakeries that sell cakes too.
- We are near to Catholic churches. Here’s our church schedule.
First Sunday of the month at St. Stephen 3:00PM is the Tagalog Mass. They have food after the mass for fellowship.
Second Sunday of the month at Novena Church 11:00AM. Sometimes we walked up to the bus stop and wait for Bus 21.
Third Sunday of the month at St. Michael Church 1:30PM is the Tagalog mass, this is the mass for Baptism leady by Father Angel.
Fourth Sunday of the month at St. Joseph (Bugis) 5:00PM is the Tagalog mass.
- UOB and DBS Bank and major banks ATM machines are all within walking distance.
Sometimes, we walk from Boon Keng to Mustafa, to Kallang MRT and to Sim Lim. Yes, we love to walk around. Nearby Boon Keng (Bendemeer) is industrial area and offices. My office is just 10 minutes walk from our HDB. I walked everyday and I go home if we have left food during lunch time. How convenient is that? 🙂 I love Boon Keng. Surely, I’ll miss this place as we are starting to look around new HDB maybe around Red Hill or Hougang.